Palliative Care Report
The Ontario Renal Network Palliative Care Report focuses on people with advanced kidney disease (CKD). In alignment with the Ontario Palliative Care Network (OPCN), it provides a provincial framework to guide the integration of palliative care into chronic kidney disease care.
The report also recommends how to implement the framework within Regional Renal Programs in Ontario.
- Educate providers, patients and families about the benefits of a palliative approach to care for people living with chronic kidney disease to strengthen service capacity and build awareness.
- Strengthen system accountability by establishing local clinical champions within nephrology in the Regional Renal Programs to support a palliative approach to care.
- Support shared understanding of palliative care needs through common terminology among providers across care settings; facilitate clear communication and terminology that is recognizable to patients and families.
- Introduce conversations about advance care planning and goals of care early; create accountability to support and review these goals with patients regularly through their care journey.
- Adopt a standard approach to identify who may benefit from a palliative approach to care, to assess symptoms and to manage care.
- Develop key performance indicators to measure progress.