Kidney transplants offer the best long-term outcomes for people with end-stage kidney disease, improving survival rates and quality of life. Transplantation is also recognized as a more cost-effective treatment than dialysis.
We partner with Trillium Gift of Life Network to make sure there is a person-centred, integrated and collaborative kidney care continuum in Ontario. Together we work to bridge patient transitions between renal and transplant programs. We aim to:
- increase access to kidney transplantation
- increase the number of living donor kidney transplants each year
- improve the patient experience with kidney transplantation
- Quality Improvement – Champion a quality improvement culture in Regional Renal Programs and transplant centres to test, measure and implement changes that ultimately increase access to kidney transplantation.
- Data – Collect and report data that spans the kidney care and transplant patient journey. The data is used to drive change at regional renal programs and transplant centres, and monitor our progress.
- Peer Support – Promote the Transplant Ambassador Program, a patient-led network that connects people considering kidney transplantation or living donation with those who have had a transplant or donated a kidney.
- Education – Share educational resources with patients, families, potential donors and healthcare providers to support informed and shared decision-making about kidney transplant options.